Monday, November 28, 2005

A Soldier's Final Email

A touching e-mail was written just prior to the death of a career soldier raised in Montgomery County. He told his family he would have no regrets if he lost his life in battle.

Capt. Jeffrey P. Toczylowski, 30, was a Special Forces detachment commander assigned to First Battalion, 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne). He asked that friends and family not "be sad for me."
"Dear friends and family,

If you are getting this email, it means that I have passed away. No, it's not a sick Toz joke, but a letter I wanted to write in case this happened. Please don't be sad for me. It was an honor to serve my country, and I wouldn't change a thing. It was just my time.

Don't ever think that you are defending me by slamming the Global War on Terrorism or the US goals in that war. As far as I am concerned, we can send guys like me to go after them or we can wait for them to come back to us again. I died doing something I believed in and have no regrets except that I couldn't do more.
"...

No flash, no fuss, plain and simple, just the way he saw it and just the way he wants to be remembered. The rest of his email can be found at Skye's blog Midnight Blue and the original article from The Philadelphia Inquirer

h/t: Mike of Mike's America

******************************

Thanks for the link!

Freedom Folks

No comments: