Thursday, October 06, 2005

Morale Boost

Just when President Bush's selection of Harriet Miers to the SCOTUS made me wonder why I voted for him in 2004, I get this reminder:

I came here today because I believe that American democracy is in grave danger. It is no longer possible to ignore the strangeness of our public discourse . I know that I am not the only one who feels that something has gone basically and badly wrong in the way America's fabled "marketplace of ideas" now functions.

How many of you, I wonder, have heard a friend or a family member in the last few years remark that it's almost as if America has entered "an alternate universe"?


The author of this gem is none other than the elected, not selected, winner of the 2000 Presidential election - Al Gore! And as I read more of Gore's speech, I realized that there *is* a difference between the two parties - even if I become disenchanted with the Republicans. Gore's rant, combined with the revelations of Louis Freeh about his relationship with Bill Clinton when Freeh was the FBI director, makes me realize that things could be worse.

But why can't they be better? Am I asking too much?

No comments: